The Holy Spirit Primary School in Heckmondwike, West Yorkshire opened on it's present site in 1968 and continued a tradition of Catholic Education in the town. Bishop Robert Cornethwaite of Beverley established the first Catholic Parish in Heckmondwike in 1871. Fr. Stephen Dolan was to be the first Parish Priest celebrating Masses from a rented room in a house in Brighton Terrace.
It wasn't until 1873 that the first Chapel and School were opened on Darley Street. St Patrick's School was built on a plot of land purchased for the princely sum of £374. It was here that the Catholics of Heckmondwike worshipped and were educated until the opening of our present Church in 1915 and school in 1968. The original Chapel and School were sold to the RAFA Club in 1970. The building had served the Catholic community of Heckmondwike well and laid the foundations for the establishment of a Catholic education in Heckmonwike.
18th March 1968 was to be the beginning of a new era as a new purpose built school opened next door to the Holy Spirit Church, and the school was re-named the Holy Spirit School. The school was to provide education for Catholic childen who lived in the Parishes of the Holy Spirit Church, Heckmondwike and Our Lady of Unfailing Help & St Paul of the Cross, Cleckheaton. A school badge was designed which included a shamrock (to honour the early days as St Patrick's School) and a dove to signify the Holy Spirit.
In August 2015, the Diocese merged the two Parishes and appointed the Very Rev'd. Fr. Nicholas Hird as the Parish Priest to oversee the new Parish of Cleckheaton & Heckmondwike. The Parish website can be found at www.stpaulscleckheaton.wordpress.com - if you click on the link, you will be re-directed and can find out Mass times at both Cleckheaton & Heckmondwike Churches, by viewing the current Church newsletter.
In 2018 the Holy Spirit Catholic Primary School celebrated it's 50th anniversary. A decorated Holy Spirit Cross and an image of the Holy Spirit were hung in the new Reception area to mark this lovely occasion. We gave a small wooden version of the Cross to every member of Staff, child and Governor of the School as a keepsake. Bishop Marcus Stock came to school to celebrate with us.
Head Teachers: Mr Tony Monaghan 1968 - 1984, Mr Patrick Conaghan 1984 - 2008 and Mr John Cooper 2008 - present.
Deputy Head Teachers: Mr Sid Cooper 1968 - 1986, Mrs Mary Clarkson 1986 - 2001, Mr John Cooper 2001 - 2008, Mrs Louise Jefferson 2008 - present.
Secretary: Mrs Margaret Peel 1968 - 1996
Bursar / Business Manager: Mrs Janice Ryan 1996 - present
Caretaker: Mr Ray Hughes 1968 - 1997, Mr Shaun Camponi 1997 - present