Holy Spirit Catholic Primary Academy, Bath Road, Heckmondwike, WF16 9EA

01924 400820


Holy Spirit Catholic Primary Academy

We are proud to work with all the Catholic schools across our two local authority areas, particularly as the Trust grows and benefits from the expertise and knowledge that other schools joining in the future will bring.

Visit Us


School attendance and absence

It is your responsibility as a parent or legal guardian to ensure your child receives a full-time education that meets their needs (for example if they have special educational needs). You can send your child to school or Elective home education.

Children must be provided with an education between the school term after their 5th birthday and the last Friday in June in the school year they turn 18.

You'll be contacted by either:

  • the school - if your child is enrolled in school and does not attend (even if they're only absent for a day)
  • the council's education safeguarding officer (APSO)- if the school refers your child to the local authority

 You may be prosecuted if you fail to ensure your child is educated. This can be by failing to ensure attendance at the school enrolled at or failing to educate otherwise.

When your child can miss school

You can only allow your child to miss school if either:

  • your child is too ill to attend
  • the Head teacher has authorised the absence

Is my child too ill for school - NHS guidance  

There's extra support available  if your child can't go to school for long periods because of a health problem.

Holidays in term time

You must ask for permission from the head teacher if you want to take your child out of school during term time.

You can only do this if:

  • you make an application to the Head teacher in advance to request the absence 
  • The decision to authorise is at the Head Teachers discretion based on their assessment of the situation

It is the head teacher's decision to agree how many days your child can be authorised absent from school if leave is granted.

Legal action to enforce school attendance

Local councils and schools can use various legal powers if your child is missing school without a good reason. For more details see Legal action to enforce school attendance.

Help with getting your child to school

If you're having trouble getting your child to go to school, the school and local council can help.

You should contact the school first to see if they can help you to resolve any issues that are preventing your child from attending regularly.

You can also Contact the Education Safeguarding Service. Where there is an Attendance and Pupil Support Officer linked to the school, they may be able to give you advice and support to improve your child's attendance.

Contact Education Safeguarding Service


Ofsted an Parent View